Tuesday 4 February 2014

HORD DRACONIS: The Jacobean Rood Screen


Made from coffee stirrers, cocktail sticks, a wooden fan, mouldings and pewter statuettes from historic house gift shops, the screen is inspired by the Jacobean screen at Knole in Kent (below). 


I built it over a four month period whilst temping as a medical secretary. 


The heraldic shields are cut out from a postcard of Oxford colleges. The shield of the college I went to, St John's, is in the centre.


I am thinking of adding more cocktail sticks to the panelling to make it look more elaborate, along with various other pewter pieces I've collected like a Medusa head, lions and dragons, as Knole has heraldic leopards and Gorgons carved on it. Eventually I will varnish the whole piece to give it a polished tone.


On top of the minstrels' gallery, which leads to the chapel, I want to build a chamber organ eventually.






No comments:

Post a Comment