Sunday 26 June 2016

YUGUE: the kitchen washing machine

I have read many posts by folk who bemoan that mini washing copper boilers are too pricey to buy, and many replies saying they are easy to make. So obviously I decided to make my own. This also meant I could have more choice in how big it would be, where in the kitchen it would fit, and what style to make it. 

I have photographed many examples in the past:





But I couldn't get the one at Kew Palace out of my head, so I have opted for a version of that:


My own has a more angular base but still with the same millstone like top. I've made the basin out of a Kinder Surprise container (I have collected many of their Star Wars toys recently intending to make them into gargoyles on the outer walls!)


The structure is box card, with cereal card for the 'millstone' and egg carton bricks for the base. The iron door is cereal card layered up and painted black with acrylics. Here though I realise that I got the angles of the brick base structure a bit wrong, meaning that my design for the door was too big, so I had to redesign it, remake it a few mms smaller. 


This was a challenge: the handle is now 1mm wide and the hinges 2mm! Here are the two attempts side by side:


I dry-brushed the millstone top with acrylics to get a more stoney feel. The lid is made of coffee stirrers, again painted with grey acrylic, and dry brushed with black, to imitate the Kew Palace inspiration.



I had to make lots more bricks to finish the project as I had used up my first batch on the bread oven and brick stoves. 


Once the egg carton bricks have been stuck on, the finishing touches will be grouting and possibly giving a little dry brush of white over the top as if it was once painted brick. 












No comments:

Post a Comment