Monday 20 June 2016

YUGUE: the kitchen bread oven

Trying to fit everything you want into a miniature kitchen is always problematic: the central table, the dresser, and the stove are essential, but then there's the bread ovens, the washing boilers, the sinks, the old brick hobs, dairies, laundries, pastry cupboards, the servant bells, the servants' hall, the butler's pantry, the housekeeper's room, the distillery, the list goes on and on. But I only really have space for one kitchen in the castle so I have to pack in as much as possible. 

I've started with the bread oven, and even here I'm faced with choice: a large metal Georgian town house style affair or a traditional Tudor/medieval hole in the wall covered by a makeshift board?



 In the end I've tried to combine the old with the 'new' so that the Georgian covers a potentially older oven. 


I've made it entirely out of odds and ends. The backing is corrugated card, the bricks are made of from egg carton painted with various shades of burnt sienna, the 'iron' fittings are all cereal card board layered up, then painted with black acrylic, but the working handles are metal stationary paper binders. As usual with all the cardboard, I place the card behind my original graph paper design, pin-prick through to the card, then do a dot-to-dot and cut it exactly with a craft knife. This means that when layering up the card I can be pretty accurate with measurements as small as 1mm thick. 



The oven is a bit 'eggy.' The inside is made from the packaging of an egg timer (the sort you put in with the eggs and it changes colour), painted and covered in egg carton bricks. 



All the brickwork will need to be grouted. I've never done this before so it will be a bit nerve wracking. I might need to practise on a spare but first. 


I also have yet to work out how to hinge the doors... It may be just using the pliability of the card itself to hinge but that might tear over time; so I might opt for a more complicated hinge, wrapping the card 'hinges' around a peg, more like the iron originals.








No comments:

Post a Comment